Monday, October 12, 2009

Crockpot Vietnamese Chicken

Sometimes, when I don’t make something for a while, Gary requests it. Like a crockpot meal for one. He actually said, and I quote, “We haven’t had a crockpot meal for a while. Why don’t you make something”. Well, if it were only that easy. He remember an orange peanut chicken recipe that I made probably 2 or 3 years ago. It was super simple crockpot dish that I found on Yahoo one day, tried it, and it was delish. It was super simple because it required about 5 minutes time, and only 5 ingredients…but I couldn’t remember that last ingredient. Of course, I couldn’t find that recipe again anywhere, but while typing this post, I decided to search Yahoo again, and of course I found it! I don’t know why I didn’t think of searching Yahoo first…duh!

Well, since I didn’t find it in time to make that recipe, I decided to look for something else that would involve chicken. This recipe for Vietnamese chicken was so easy and flavorful. I’ve been meaning to make it for a while now, but I forgot about it because I never had fish sauce on hand. I also hadn’t defrosted any chicken, so this was the perfect recipe to use up the chicken in my freezer.

The original recipe called for adding foil balls on the bottom of the crock to make it similar to roasting the chicken in an oven. I didn’t add the foil, so I let the chicken cook in the marinade.

DSC04514copy

Crockpot Vietnamese Chicken
adapted from: A Year of CrockPotting
printable recipe

ingredients:
4-6 chicken thighs (I used 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
1 1/2 TBSP fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 TBSP canola oil

directions:
Place chicken on the bottom of the crockpot. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix to combine. Pour sauce over the chicken.

Cook on low for 6 hours or 3-4 hours on high. I checked mine at 5 1/2 hours on low, and it was fully cooked already.

Serve over rice.

Edited 12/7/09: I made this again with 2 leg quarters and it was a lot better. The meat was juicy and just fell off the bone.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!