Monday, November 24, 2008

Rave of the Day: Progressive Grater Set

I wanted to make a carrot cake, but I didn't have a box grater. All I had was a microplane and that would give me mushy carrots. I looked at a few stores for box graters, but I couldn't believe the prices. $15-$20??? I didn't think I would use it much, so I wanted something a little cheaper.

I went to Century 21 to look at the kitchen stuff. Their stuff is usually a little cheaper. I saw the Progressive Grater Set, and it looked pretty interesting. For less than $10, I got 3 different grating sizes and a slicer. It all came in a handy plastic container that doubles as a measuring cup so I was able to see how much more I needed to grate. The downside is that it's white, and the carrots I grated stained it a little bit (but carrots stain everything). It would also have been nice to also have a hand guard, so I can grate close without fear of cutting my fingers. But that doesn't come with a box grater either so I'm fine with that. I ended up using the one that came with my mandoline slicer.

My other raves:

Anchor Hocking Presence Cake Dome Set
I used it to bring my carrot cake over to my sister's place. I love the fact that it converts into a punch bowl when inverted upside down. It is a bit heavy, so it's better off to just use it at home. I probably won't transport it again because of its weight and the fact that it's glass, and I'm a klutz.

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Bakeware 9-Inch Round Cake Pan
I used this to bake the carrot cake. It's durable, heavy duty, and it doesn't warp. I coated it with nonstick baking spray and it didn't stick at all! It cleaned up with minimal effort, just as I like.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!