Monday, November 17, 2008

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

Made by: Cathy
Also for: November Tasty Tools

So, I cleaned out my pantry this weekend, and threw out a couple of things that were expired. It wasn't much, but it was enough to make me realize I was throwing money in the trash. So this week, I wanted to eat out of the pantry using things we had already (I can't believe I have 6 cans of creamed corn!).

We went out and bought a whole 6lb chicken and a bag of celery instead of just a package of the chicken breast for one night. I like dark meat more anyway, that way we both eat what we want.
I was also watching Paula Deen from Food Network make turkey on Saturday. She said to keep the skin crispy, she pats the skin dry before she does anything to it. No wonder all the chicken I make never gets crispy! But I don't eat the skin anyway.


Ingredients:
nonstick spray
5 thick carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
3-4 stalks celery, cut into big pieces
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 whole roasting chicken (I used a 6lb bird)
1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons), softened (3/11/09 ETA: can use olive oil instead)
salt and pepper to taste
dried thyme
dried rosemary

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Spray the bottom of your roasting pan with nonstick spray.
3. Peel, slice, and cut up vegetables. Place on the bottom of the pan. Coat the veges with a layer of salt. Place the roasting rack on top of the vegetables.
4. Wash the chicken under running water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
5. If using the olive oil, mix the spices into a bowl with the olive oil. Rub mixture on to the bird under the skin and on the inside. Rub butter all over the chicken, then rub with salt, black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Don't forget the inside, and massage well! I found it easier to stick my hand inside the carcass to massage the underside. I don't think I used the whole 4 tbsp of butter. I had a little left over.
6. Place the chicken breast side up on the rack.
7. Bake for about 2 hours (6 lb bird), or 25 min per lb, or until internal temperature reaches 180° F.

The chicken I bought came with a popper, so I knew when it was done. I checked in with it after about 1 and a half hours, then every 10 min or so.

I accidentally broke it's leg while I was massaging it (sorry!). The veges were a little burnt because I didn't cut them big enough. I think if you're going to roast it, it's best to get a 3lb one or so, so the veges aren't over done.

I had a lot of chicken left over, so this week will be a chicken week.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!