Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chinese Five Spice Chicken Wings

Gary’s mom makes these awesome chicken wings that I’ve never been able to duplicate. It’s probably the most basic recipe, and she told me how to make it too. Maybe I should have listened when she was explaining it to me! In the meantime, while I wait for the recipe (again!), I will make it my way.

Instead of stir-frying the chicken wings like I usually do, I decided to pan fry in some oil. I was hoping to get the skin crispy like fried wings do, but without fully immersing the wings into the oil. I don’t think the skin was as crispy as I wanted, but it worked well. The love the flavor of the 5 spice powder. There were a few wings that were larger than the rest, so I cooked those longer. I usually slice them open to see if it’s fully cooked in the middle. We’re slightly paranoid (especially Gary) about undercooked chicken.

5 spice wings

Chinese Five Spice Chicken Wings

Ingredients:
1.5 lb of chicken wings
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
cooking oil

Directions:
1. Clean and pat the chicken wings dry. In a large bowl, combine the wings with all the ingredients except for the oil. Toss together to coat evenly.

2. On high heat, heat a pan with oil about 1/4 inch deep. Lower the heat to medium. Place the wings in a single layer in the pan and fry for about 5-7 minutes each side, or until juices run clear.

3. Transfer to a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.

5 spice wings

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!