Monday, March 9, 2009

Curry Chicken and Potatoes

Here is another recipe I have grown up with. I should really call these Curry Potatoes and Chicken. I usually use more potatoes than chicken in this recipe. Gary and I went out to enjoy the wonderful weather this past weekend. At around 6:30, we decided to heat somewhere to eat. I’ve been craving Malaysian food lately, and curry chicken sounded really good. We actually had about $15 cash in our pockets, and we debated (well not really) the pros and cons of going out to eat.

Pros: It would be a nice treat.
Cons: We didn’t have any money (I think the restaurant only takes cash). We would have to stop by a bank to get money. We would be paying a lot more for something we can make ourselves.

So, since we’re trying to save money and needed to go grocery shopping anyway, we decided to go to the grocery store  and get the week’s groceries.

curry chix/potatoes

Curry Chicken and Potatoes
Adapted from: my parents

Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken thighs
4-6 potatoes peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 tablespoon curry powder (more or less to taste)

Directions:
1. Cut the chicken into 1 inch strips. Peel potatoes. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces.

2. Heat a wok or stir fry pan on medium high heat, add cooking oil and chicken. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until chicken has started to brown. Mix in soy sauce, salt and sugar. Add potatoes, mix well for 2-3 more minutes.

3. Add water to the wok, then add in curry powder into the water. Mix well. (If you add curry powder first, it will be bitter.) Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.

4. Transfer to a bowl and serve.

I recommend using dark meat for this. If you use white meat, it may dry out. I’ve also used chicken wings cut in half.

curry chix potatoes

I’m also submitting this recipe to this month’s Tasty Tools event hosted by Joelen’s Culinary Adventures. This month, she is highlighting the wok. Here’s my wok in action while making this dish.

wok

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!