Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Steamed Chicken and Shitake Mushrooms

I wanted to try to recreate a dish my mom made for me when I was growing up. I knew it had various chicken parts with shitake mushrooms, but I didn’t know what else was in it. I also knew it was steamed, as were a lot of recipes she made.

Although my recipe was not exactly like what she made, I think it was a good try and tasted equally as delicious. Mine seemed to come out lighter and didn’t feel as heavy as the one my mom makes. It was good enough to make Gary go back for seconds!

chicken and shitake

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
6-7 fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
2 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces, white parts removed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 teaspoons white sugar

Directions:
1. Cut up chicken to 1 inch wide strips. Remove stems from mushroom and slice. Clean and cut up scallions into 1 inch pieces. Place all into a bowl.

2. Combine the rest of the ingredients into the bowl, toss to coat together.

3. Transfer to a shallow dish with edges (liquid will form), place in steamer or wok with steamer rack in water. Cover and steam for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice.

wok

We also didn’t have a steamer, our wok was what we used for basically everything. With a wok and a rice cooker, we were set in the kitchen. With that said, this recipe is also being submitted to Joelen’s Tasty Tools event for the month of March. Be sure to check her site at the end of the month for other tasty recipes using the wok!

chix shitake plate

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!