Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beef and Tofu Stir-Fry

Let me start off by saying that this picture doesn’t look very appetizing, but it does taste good. I hate it when something tastes so good, but looks so disgusting. Well, don’t let the picture fool you. This is a great way to use up tofu.

The recipe called for firm tofu, but I had some silken tofu I needed to use up so I used that. I recommend using the firm tofu so it keeps it’s shape better.

beef tofu

Beef and Tofu Stir Fry
Adapted from: Martin Yan Quick and Easy

Ingredients:
Marinade:
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 Tbsp cornstarch

3/4 lb flank steak (I cut into slices)

Sauce:
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp chili garlic sauce

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (14oz) package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2" cubes (I used silken tofu)
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tsp water

Directions:
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, add beef and stir to coat evenly. Let stand for 10 minutes.

2. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

3. Heat a stir fry pan or wok on high heat. Add the oil, swirl to coat the sides. Add ginger and onion, cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beef and stir fry until it is no longer pink in the center, about 2 minutes. Add the tofu and sauce and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stir until the sauce thickens, about 20 seconds.

3. Transfer to plate and serve. We ate this over rice.

1 comment :

  1. I think this sounds delicious! I love tofu but have never mixed it with meat - must be something from my vegetarian days!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!