Friday, January 29, 2010

Dairy Free Oreo Truffles

If you read food blogs, you’ve probably seen these before. These Oreo truffles have been a favorite for many for the holidays or any special occasion. Why? Well, why not? Oreos are America’s favorite cookie for a reason.

Whoever thought this up is probably a genius. You can not go wrong with Oreos dipped in chocolate. Of course, I did feel bad that Gary wouldn’t be able to eat it if I made it with cream cheese like the original recipe called for. I could’ve used the Tofutti, but the truffles would still need refrigeration afterwards.

I don’t remember where I heard it from, but someone recommended using sweetened condensed milk instead of cream cheese so it wouldn’t require refrigeration. Another genius! I made a batch of dairy free sweetened condensed milk to make these truffles.

I originally wanted to make a few of these for Gary’s coworkers since he would no longer be working with them. I wanted to keep the rest for the superbowl, but after rolling  a few, and attempting to make them into football shapes, I decided to just roll them all into balls and think of something else for the superbowl.

oreotruffles
I found working with homemade condensed milk was a bit sticky and the crumbs didn't fully combine. While I was rolling, the Oreo mixture got a little hard and chewy. It was probably because of the homemade milk and I was mixing with a spatula. If I try this next time, I will probably use a mixer to combine the mixture more evenly. With that said, I didn't use up the whole mixture because it was basically crumbs at the bottom of the bowl and it didn't form into balls very well. I did get almost 3 dozen truffles though (half of which Gary probably ate himself). I didn't get quite as much as the original recipe called for because I pressed the mixture into a cookie scoop and formed balls from there.

Dairy Free Oreo Truffles
adapted from: Kraft
printable recipe

ingredients:
1 package (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Cookies
14 oz dairy free sweetened condensed soymilk
12 squares (1 1/2 package) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted (plus more as needed)

directions:
In a food processor, grind up whole cookies into crumbs.

Mix the cookie crumbs and the condensed milk until well blended. Press mixture into a TBSP sized scoop, and form into balls. Place on a wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least 15 minutes to firm up.

Melt chocolate as directed in 30 second spurts in a microwave.

Dip balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs or other decorations if desired.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store any leftover truffles in tightly covered container. This does not require refrigeration.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen truffles.

7 comments :

  1. Please tell me you know that there is Dairy in Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Suzyhomemaker

    Thanks for your comment. Although not all the ingredients in Oreos are the greatest, they are indeed vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would I be able to use normal milk instead of the condensed milk?  And how much is a batch? Sorry for asking probs silly questions xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. The regular milk would be too thin to hold it together. The original recipe called for cream cheese if you can get that. As noted in the recipe, you should get a few dozen truffles depending on how big you roll them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um - dairy free condensed MILK !! ? Never heard of milk that is DAIRY free. :)
    And chocolate is not exactly dairy free either.

    Rather disappointed, really thought I had found a dairy free oreo truffle recipe.
    Seriously - condensed milk is MORE dairy than normal milk, being condensed, and also worse than the cream cheese in the first place.
    I'm sure they are great with condensed milk, but not dairy free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,


    if you read closely, I used a homemade batch of condensed soy milk. You can also try store bought tofu cream cheese, but I'm not sure how that would turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was a pretty dramatic response considering the recipe clearly says that the condensed milk is dairy free... there are lots of dairy-free milks (soy, almond). You need a chill pill with your truffle :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!