Friday, January 8, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream

I've searched for a while for a chocolate ice cream Gary would like. His most requested flavor of ice cream is chocolate. He used to like different flavors, but as he got older, his palette has changed to more simple flavors. Chocolate and vanilla is his favorite. When I suggest cookies n cream or a fruit sorbet, he agrees, but never really asked for it.

I haven’t found a perfect vanilla recipe yet, but I have found this chocolate recipe that he loves. I've tried my hand at chocolate ice cream before, but it wasn't as good as this one. This one is creamier and has a better mouth feel than the one previously made. I also discovered a new vegan creme, Mimic Creme, that is thicker and looks more like heavy cream. I use the unsweetened version to control the amount of sugar I use and add my own thickeners. However, you can also get the sweetened and omit the sugar and arrowroot the recipe calls for. I've used all coconut milk for this recipe as well and it’s turned out well. Since coconut milk has more fat in it, the result is a creamier ice cream vs. using soymilk.

vegan ice cream

Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
adapted from: The Vegan Scoop
printable recipe

ingredients: 
1 cup coconut milk
2 TBSP arrowroot powder
2 cups Mimic Creme (or more coconut milk - I use 2 14oz cans of coconut milk total)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 TBSP vanilla extract

directions: 
In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup milk and arrowroot to create a slurry. Set aside.

In a small saucepan on low heat, combine remaining milk, cream, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Stir frequently until boiling.

Remove from heat then immediately add arrowroot mixture. This will cause the liquid to thicken to a pudding like consistency. Add vanilla extract.

Chill mixture in fridge for 2-3 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

2 comments :

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!