Friday, March 13, 2009

Non-Dairy Chocolate Ice Cream

Gary first tried Turtle Mountain non dairy ice cream made with coconut milk. I wasn’t such a huge fan, but he liked it. What really turned me off was the price at over $5 a pint! I told him that I would research recipes for ice cream and I would make it for him myself. It was tough finding plain chocolate non dairy ice creams. I found a few using tofu, but very few using non dairy milks. I will try the tofu one someday, but I wanted to use up the soy creamer. I finally found this recipe for double chocolate ice cream, but I omitted the chips so it’s plain chocolate. I also used 2 cups non dairy creamer instead of all 4 cups milk.

chocolate ice cream

Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream
Adapted from: Washington Post

Ingredients:
2 cups non dairy creamer (or use all milk)
2 cups non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
2 tablespoons arrowroot
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup vegan dairy-free chocolate or carob chips (I omitted)

Directions:
1. Combine ¼ cup of the milk and the arrowroot. Blend well and set aside.

2. Place remaining milk and creamer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and sugar, and bring up to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add arrowroot mixture, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.

3. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into a bowl and chill in an ice bath. Refrigerate until chilled, then freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, add chips during last 5 minutes of freezing.

Makes 1 quart.

This turned out very good. The liquid tasted a bit bitter before it was frozen, but once it was frozen in the freezer, it tasted just like chocolate ice cream. I think the consistency was more like Italian ice than dairy ice cream, but it is pretty close.

Of all the non dairy milks Gary has tried so far, he seems to like the almond milk the best.

2 comments :

  1. Thank you sooooo much for posting this! I'm lactose intolerant so this is right up my alley! I also looovvvee chocolate so that's even more perfect! I hope my grocery store sells non-dairy creamer (for a creamier ice-cream)...I know that they don't sell almond milk (and there's no whole-foods store here)...wish me luck! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. omgosh THANK you for posting this! yes, turtle mountain/so delicious is sooo pricey - this would definitely help the family out! how sweet and smart of you to come up with this recipe :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!