Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Homemade Pancake Mix aka Bisquick

Before I found this mix, I would use bisquick. When I first started out in the kitchen, I would buy pre-packaged mixes that aren’t always good for you. Bisquick was one of them. I would always buy a box, use a couple of servings, then the rest of the box would go to waste. I never ended up using the whole thing.

I hadn’t bought it in a long time since we were living gluten free at one point. We also started looking at labels and ingredients, and some of the ingredients in bisquick was not something we need in our bodies. When I found this recipe from Looking2Live, I knew it was something I could whip up in no time.

The original recipe called for a lot of flour, so I quartered the recipe. This was when I realized we don’t have a handheld calculator. I was in the kitchen with a pencil and paper and my kitchenaid booklet that came with the mixer which has measurement conversions on the back page.

pancake mix

Homemade Bisquick
Source: as seen on Looking2Live originally from cooks.com
Original recipe has been quartered

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup canola oil (I used corn oil)

Directions:
1. Sift flour, baking powder, and sugar into large mixing bowl. Sift one more time.

2. Slowly add oil, cutting in with pastry blender, until mix is consistency of corn meal. (I used a stand mixture with the paddle attachment.)

3. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature or refrigerate.

My first batch messed up because I decided to use the dough blade in my food processor. I also didn’t measure the oil and decided to eyeball it…big mistake! It ended up looking like peanut butter. I tried again using my stand mixer and it turned out perfect.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!