Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hoisin Five Spice Chicken Legs

I love chicken drumsticks and thighs. I had some in the freezer that I needed to use up. I found this recipe at epicurious.com and it seemed simple and easy enough for a weeknight meal.

The original recipe called for only hoisin, 5 spice powder and chicken. However, I read the reviews and decided to add some more ingredients to add a little extra something. I halved the ingredients because I had only 4 drumsticks, but the recipe called for 4 whole chicken legs.

I was also hesitant with baking something at 500°, but I remember seeing chicken wings baked at 500° before with no problem. The smoke detector did go off when I was making this! I guess it was because the garlic burned…

hoisin 5spice drumsticks

Hoisin Five Spice Chicken Legs
Adapted from: epicurious.com

Ingredients:
4 chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 500°F.

2. Put chicken in a shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan lined with foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray.

3. In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Brush liberally all over chicken. Bake in upper third of oven until skin is browned and chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.

My chicken was probably bigger than normal. I baked for about 35+ min. I also removed the skin from the chicken before I brushed it. Next time, I will probably add garlic powder instead of minced garlic because it did burn on the chicken. Other than that, the flavor was similar to a Chinese style barbeque.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!