Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”

If you’re a foodie and watch Food Network at all, you should have heard of “The Chewy” by now. If not, have you been living under a rock? …I kid, I kid.

But anyway, The Chewy is Alton Brown’s creation for an episode where he made different types of cookies for his sister, Marsha. He made 3 different cookies: The Thin, The Puffy, and The Chewy. The one that called out to me was of course, The Chewy!

These cookies were certainly chewy, however they didn’t spread as much as I hoped. I had to flatten them out before I put them in the oven. I didn’t use the cookie scoop to measure out the dough, instead I used a medium cookie scoop which is a little bigger than a tablespoon. I also usually don’t have milk on hand, so I used milk powder reconstituted with water. Bridget from The Way the Cookie Crumbles recommends cutting the milk in half to allow the cookies to spread.

Although these cookies are good, I don’t think it’s my favorite cookie. I still like my tried and true recipe better.

the chewy

Alton Brown’s Chewy
Adapted from: Alton Brown/Food Network

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk (I used milk powder reconstituted with water)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375° F.

2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

3. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Chill the dough, then using a medium cookie scoop, scoop onto parchment-lined or silicone baking sheets. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 4 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

doughball

These cookies were not flattened before I put it in the oven. It came out a bit puffy and didn’t seem to spread that much. I had to flatten the next batch before I baked them.

cookies

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!