Thursday, March 5, 2009

Curry Chicken Pot Pie

I first saw this recipe a couple of months ago on the Food Network site. I wanted to make a chicken pot pie when I had first roasted a whole chicken, however I didn’t get the chance to. I love chicken pot pie. It’s so hearty and filling. I also love yellow curry, so when I saw this, I knew I had to try it.

When I started making this, I realized that the bag of mixed vegetables I bought had lima beans in it. I had to pick them out one by one because Gary can’t have them. I bet he bought those! I used homemade pancake mix as the crust. I usually don’t have puff pastry, so this was an ok alternative.

This recipe is definitely a keeper. Although we both don’t usually eat anything spicy, anything with curry is a plus in our book.

curry chicken pot pie

Curry Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from: Alton Brown/Food Network

Ingredients:
4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (I used soy milk)
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder (I used about 2 tsp)
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package puff pastry (I used 1 cup homemade pancake mix whisked together with 1/2 c. soy milk and 1 egg)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.

2. Toss frozen vegetables with canola oil and spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Place into oven and cook until golden brown.

3. In a sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon of butter and sweat the onion and celery. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix and cook out the water. Add the flour and curry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and cook until thickened. Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Toss the browned vegetables and the chicken.

4. Pour into a shallow baking pan, or a large terra cotta pot base, lined with foil, and top with 6 to 8 circles of puff pastry. (I used a 2.5 qt casserole dish without the foil and poured the pancake mix on top.) Place into the oven and cook until puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes. (The pancake mix will not bubble. It will turn golden brown in about the same amount of time.)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!