Monday, January 4, 2010

Café Mocha Tarts

A few weeks ago, phyllo shells and dough were on sale. I decided to buy them, but I didn’t have anything in mind as to what to make with them. I have been wanting to make baklava for a while, but I’ve been procrastinating.

I started looking through the Athens website for ideas. There were a few interesting dessert ideas that caught my eye. One of them was this café mocha tart recipe.

This simple recipe called for ingredients I had on hand, except for the Kahlua, which I used brewed espresso for.

The only problem I had was with the chocolate coffee mixture. Once it cooled, it gelled and did not incorporate well with the cream. The little bits also made it difficult to pipe through the star decorating tip, so I spooned the mixture into the shells. It definitely did not look like the the one pictured on the site. I’m guessing that the temperature in my house was kind of cool, therefore the mixture got too cold. Next time, I will try to time it better so the coffee mixture ends up room temperature, not cool/cold.

mocha tarts

Café Mocha Tarts
adapted from: Athens Foods
printable recipe

ingredients:
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoon Kahlua (I used brewed espresso)
1/2 teaspoon plain gelatin
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
15 Athens® Mini Fillo Shells (1 box)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut, for garnish

directions:
In a small chilled bowl, whip heavy cream to full volume. Chill for 1 hour.

In a small pan, combine water, Kahlua and gelatin and let stand for 1 minute. Add powdered sugar, instant coffee and chocolate chips. Over low heat stir until chocolate chips are melted. Bring to room temperature. Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Chill for 1 hour.

Spoon or pipe 2 teaspoons of filling into each phyllo shell. Garnish with shredded coconut. Serve immediately.

mocha tarts 2

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!