Monday, January 25, 2010

Banana Pancakes

After watching the blueberry pancake throw down on Food Network this past week, I had a craving for pancakes. The norm would be blueberry pancakes, but I didn’t have any blueberries. I looked for a buttermilk pancake recipe that would strike my interest. I saw these banana pancakes that were just too adorable to pass up.

I had everything on hand, except for the buttermilk, so I used a mix of soymilk plus 1 tsp vinegar to equal 1 cup of buttermilk. I also halved the original recipe to feed 2 adults. While I thought the amount was sufficient and enough for 2, Gary thought otherwise. He thought it was enough to feed 2 kids.

banana pancakes

Banana Pancakes
adapted from: Baking Bites
printable recipe

ingredients:
1 cups all purpose flour
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk (I used a mix of soymilk plus 1 TBSP vinegar)
1/2 a banana, mashed

directions:
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Whisk in eggs, buttermilk and mashed banana until batter just comes together and no large streaks of flour remain. If your batter is too thick (different sized bananas will cause the batter to vary in thickness), or you prefer your pancakes to be on the thinner side, add an extra 1/4 cup of milk or buttermilk into the mix to thin it slightly.

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat until a drop of water placed on it skitters around the surface. If it instantly evaporates, turn down the temperature slightly.

Ladle batter by 1/4 cupfuls for large pancakes onto the preheated pan and cook until golden on both sides, turning once. Flip when the top has started to bubble.

Serve immediately with maple syrup.

Makes approx. 8 pancakes, serves 1-2

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!