Friday, January 27, 2012

Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have to admit, when I read over this recipe and saw that it no sugar, I was concerned of how it would taste. I love healthy options for everything, but I never thought for a cookie.

Well, this came out of the oven and the chocolate was all melty and gooey. I tasted it and it tasted like a crunchier version of a bowl of oatmeal I would eat in the morning, with the addition of chocolate. These ended up being a great breakfast option for me to grab on the go on the way to work, so I've also dubbed them as breakfast cookies.

I've never baked with olive oil, but I went back to the original source and saw that they used coconut oil. Since I always have that on hand and I've baked with it before, I used that instead.

The first batch came out as the shape of my cookie scoop, so while it was still warm, I pushed it down and it ended up like the shape of a mini hockey puck. The second batch, I flattened it before baking. I stored these in a zip top bag and they ended up a little soggy from the banana. I didn't mind the texture, and it made it seem more like little oatmeal energy bites than a cookie. Next time I try this, I might pack it into a pan to bake then cut into granola bars.

Remember to check out Sarah's blog for all the healthy recipes from the swap, including my contribution of lemon pepper salmon.


Healthy Oatmeal Cholate Chip Cookies
recipe by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Tastetastic Voyage originally from 101 cookbooks




ingredients:
  • 3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, slightly softened (or olive oil)
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup almond meal (or heaping 2/3 cup blanched almonds, ground)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, finely shredded
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6-7 ounces chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar, chopped

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F, racks in the top third.
  2. In a large bowl beat the bananas, vanilla extract, and oil. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. In a food processor, grind up heaping measurements of almonds and coconut, then add to the dry ingredients (if you already have almond meal and small shredded coconut, add it directly to the dry ingredients and skip this step).
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate. Drop dough, about 2 teaspoons in size, or with a cookie scoop, an inch apart onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Press down slightly.
  5. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
  6. Allow to cool 5 minutes on cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
Yield: a little less than 3 dozen


Pin It

3 comments :

  1. I'm so glad these worked out well as a breakfast snack. I'd have been just as skeptical about the lack of sugar so it's good to know the chocolate makes up for it.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to try this out. Honestly, no sugar? I am really intrigued. Have to try soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little brother just completed this recipe. Although he's not a very good cook, he was able to make those cookies. Way to go MF!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!