Friday, January 16, 2009

Devil’s Food Cake Balls

Adapted from: Bakerella
Made by: Cathy

I made these over the holiday and contemplated whether or not I should post this. It came out alright, however I still needed to get my chocolate melting technique down. They’re not very appealing to the eyes, but they tasted very good. I initially made this because I had a box of devil’s food cake box mix in the pantry that I needed to use up.

Gary brought these to work and they were a big hit. They didn’t care what it looked like. I guess he’s one of the only ones (if not the only one) that brings goodies to work. They were raving about these balls for several days after.

cake balls

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 box devil's food cake mix, prepare as directed (I made the lower fat version with applesauce)
1 can frosting (I used homemade frosting, ingredients/recipe to follow)
1 package chocolate bark (I used 2 packages Baker’s Semisweet baking chocolate)

Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 Tbsp milk

Directions:
1. Prepare cake as instructed on the package. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. For frosting, beat together all ingredients. Combine the frosting and cake. Fully incorporate the frosting so it blends in with the cake.
3. Shape uniform balls by using a medium cookie scoop. Roll and lay on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
4. Chill for several hours, or freeze.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package. (I used the double boiler method)
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper, refrigerate until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for posting! Sometimes it doesn't matter if food isn't "perfect" or "photogenic"... the trick is if it's just plain tasty. These look like they taste awesome! I'm bookmarking them to try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im hoping to try these tonight! Thanks for the yummy recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these last week like I said.. and they were fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!