Monday, September 28, 2009

Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles

Mmmm…hot chocolate. It’s getting to that time of year where you want to curl up on your couch and sip hot chocolate. This cookie totally reminded me of that.

I first tried Mexican hot chocolate early this year during a birthday party at work. You would add chili powder to the hot chocolate, as much as you wanted, and it was just enough to give you a little kick at the end. I wasn’t too sure about it at first since I don’t really like spicy stuff. The liquid Mexican hot chocolate doesn’t really do it for me, but this cookie definitely does!

I love how it leaves a little burn in your throat, but not too much to make you go insane. When I first saw the recipe, I was thinking up alternatives for maple syrup because I didn’t have it. It is a little pricey as well. Then I saw a great deal at Amazon for some maple syrup at 50% off! Of course I had to get it and make this recipe. If you act before the end of the month, you can still get this awesome deal.

Gary tried the cookies as well, and after he ate 3, he said “It might be better without the cayenne”. Well, you already had 3, I guess it was good enough already. I brought these to work and one of my coworkers thought these look like cookies she would buy at a bakery. Score!

mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
adapted from: as seen on The Post Punk Kitchen, from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
printable recipe

ingredients:
For the topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the cookies:
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons almond milk (Or your preferred non-dairy milk) I used soy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (or more vanilla extract if you have no chocolate) I used more vanilla

directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

Combine ingredients for topping in a flat storage container (or any sealable container). Shake to combine. Pour into a flat plate if container is not flat. (I had leftover cinnamon sugar, so I kept my leftovers it in my flat lock 'n' lock container.)

In a small bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through cayenne). This is crucial because you want to spread out the cayenne. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together wet ingredients (oil through extracts). Slowly beat in dry ingredients until combined.

Using a medium cookie scoop (tablespoon size) form balls and press into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Flip over and place the cookies 2 inches apart sugar side up on cookie sheet. The dough will stick to your fingers when you press it into the cinnamon sugar, making it easy to flip it over onto the sheet.

Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until tops crackle.

Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to cookie sheets to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies. (I got 26 cookies)

mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles

6 comments :

  1. Ooh, yum. Love the idea of spicy cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarking these - I adore chocolate with cinnamon and cayenne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you linked this to the Ingredient Challenge. I read this recipe awhile ago, but didn't bookmark it. And tonight I was hunting for it. Seriously. :) I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you linked this to the Ingredient Challenge. I read this recipe awhile ago, but didn't bookmark it. And tonight I was hunting for it. Seriously. :) I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, yum. Love the idea of spicy cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!