Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gingersnaps


To tell you my family loves ginger cookies is an understatement. My family LOVES all ginger cookies! Every time I make a ginger type cookie, they always ask for more.

I was originally going to buy gingersnaps for a pumpkin cheesecake recipe. It was one less thing for me to do for Thanksgiving cooking. However, this recipe popped up right before I was about to go to the supermarket. I had everything on hand, and my mom asked about ginger cookies once again :), so I decided to make it. I'm so glad I did, because when I saw the $6 price tag for a small box of gingersnaps that were full of crap, I almost fainted!

I started the recipe on Tuesday in order to be able to use it on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I wanted them snappier because I would be using them for a cheesecake crust, so I baked them for the full 15 minutes. Normally, I'm all for the chewy cookies!

My family also thought this didn't have as much ginger flavor as my previous ginger cookies. I didn't either. It may have been because I was dumb and squeezed the ginger liquid out after I grated it. DON'T do it! Keep all that gingery goodness in!

I used a cookie scoop to measure out the cookie balls. I guess I made them slightly bigger, because I only got an even 3 dozen cookies out of the recipe, vs the 4 dozen from the original recipe.



Gingersnaps
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

ingredients:
2 1/4 cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 grams) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 to 3 grams) table salt
3 tsp (6 grams) ground ginger
1 tsp (2 grams) cinnamon
1/2 tsp(1 gram) allspice
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
2 sticks (8 ounces or 227 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (96 grams) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup (79 ml) unsulphured molasses
1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (with the wet ingredients) or 1 to 2 tablespoons finely minced candied ginger (with the dry ingredients) (optional)

directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars together until fluffy, about three minutes on medium. Add egg and molasses and beat until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined. Thoroughly scrape down bowl, ensuring ingredients are evenly mixed.

Transfer your cookie dough to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in fridge for at least two hours, until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll dough into 1-inch balls and spread at least two inches apart on baking sheets that have either been greased or lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, which is a long range. In the 10 to 12 range, the cookies will be softer. In the 13 to 15 range, a bit snappier. Allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Make ahead: In an airtight container at room temperature, the cookies will soften a bit each day. Cookies keep for one week at room temperature or one month in the freezer.

Makes 3 dozen



Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!