Monday, December 22, 2008

Spicy Gingerbread Cutouts

Adapted from: Allrecipes.com
Made by: Cathy and Carol

I've always wanted to make cutout cookies. They're just so cute. I first attempted to for Halloween, but the recipe I used was a disaster. This recipe for gingerbread cutouts was great though. I used a recipe originally from Allrecipes.com. This was a recipe for a spicy gingerbread cookie, but I like my gingerbread spicy. I read a few of the reviews and adapted it to my own taste. I was trying this recipe blind by the way. I have never tried this recipe before, so I didn't have anything to compare to. These turned out wonderfully tasty.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk (I think my sister may have added a little egg white also)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg yolk. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Divide the dough in half, flatten into disks, wrap in saran wrap, and chill for at least one hour. I chilled it overnight.
3. Between two sheets of floured wax paper, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool.

I left my cookies plain. They tasted great just the way it was. This was definitely the best gingerbread cookie I've ever had, but I may be partial. ;P

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!