Monday, December 22, 2008

Crockpot Chicken Adobo

Adapted from: A Year of Crockpotting
Made by: Cathy



Ingredients:
3 to 5 pounds of chicken meat (I used 4 pieces boneless thighs)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used 1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 2 tsp minced garlic)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (can use regular white) (I used 3/4 cup)
4 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 yellow onion, sliced in rings
2 potatoes peeled and sliced thick


Directions:
1. Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. I placed everything in a bag then shook and rubbed it. If using a whole chicken, shove 2 bay leaves inside. I had 4 thighs so I nested a bay leaf in each thigh. Set aside.
2. Slice the onion in rings and place the rings at the bottom of the crockpot. Add in the shredded carrot. I grated my carrots. Layer the potatoes on. Put the chicken on top. Pour in the soy sauce and vinegar.
3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. This is done when the chicken is cooked through and has reached desired tenderness.

I cooked the chicken on high for a little over 4 hours. I put a little more vinegar and soy sauce because I added the potatoes, but I probably didn't need to. It was a bit sour for us. Next time, I will probably try it with some wine or grape juice.

1 comment :

  1. Try this chicken adobo recipe...2 lbs. chicken thigh or leg, 1 chicken cube, 1/3 cup soysauce, 1/4 cup vinegar,1 tsp. sugar, 2 sliced ginger,  2 garlic cloves chopped, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp black whole peppercorns and ground black pepper. extra 2 cloves of garlic chopped and 1 tbsp. oil.

    Marinate for 1 hour. Put everything in pot and simmer on medium heat for 1/2 an hour. Take the meat out.  Save the sauce (skim the fat).
    Take the bayleaves and whole black peppercorn and throw it away.
    Put oil in a non stick pan and saute the extra garlic and slightly brown it. Put the chicken back and fry a little . Add the leftover sauce. Simmer on high heat , uncover until sauce is thicken. Serve over rice and vegetables

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!