Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ginger Scallion Lobster

Made by: Cathy

It's been one full year since we've been married. So for our anniversary, we had a special dinner of my own version of surf and turf.

So, we had a 10 course meal for our wedding, but I didn't get a bite after the 3rd course. One of the courses was ginger scallion lobster, another was steak. I didn't get to eat any of it. So to compensate I made a Chinese style lobster to enjoy.

This was my first time making lobster. I could have very well called my dad and asked him what was in it. I didn't want to bother him. I should be able to figure it out for myself. I googled it and came up with something on my own.

Ingredients:
2 one pound lobsters (I had 2 lobsters that weighed a total of 2.32lbs)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root
1 scallion (I didn't have any, so I left it out)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 heaping teaspoon black bean garlic sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with water
2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
sea salt


Directions:
1. Peel and slice the ginger. Clean and cut off the end of the scallion. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water. Set aside.
2. Clean and rinse the lobster. Separate the head from the tail. Cut the tail lengthwise, then cut each half of the tail into 2 or 3 pieces, depending on the size of the lobster. Separate the claws from the head. Cut the head lengthwise, clean and gut the head. Grab the legs and separate from the shell. Discard the shells from the head.
3. In a hot wok, add the the ginger to the cooking oil. Mix for a few minutes, then remove the ginger from the wok and set aside.
4. Add the lobster to the wok. Add the black bean garlic sauce and scallions and sautee together.
5. Add the ginger back in, as well as the cornstarch mixture, rice wine and a dash of sea salt. Continue to saute for a few mintues until the meat starts to turn opaque. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is completely opaque and the shell is bright red.
6. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.


Now, for my first time making this, it was pretty tasty. It tasted a lot like something they would serve at a Chinese restaurant.

What really creeped me out while I was making this was the fact that the arms were still moving when I was cooking it! Next time, I will probably boil it for a few minutes to make sure it's not alive anymore before I cook it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!