Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

Made by: Cathy


I didn't have much leftovers Thanksgiving this year. We had a lot of people over. The only things left in my fridge that could be made into something else on Monday night were mashed potatoes and gravy. So to use everything up, and also using things in my pantry and freezer, I made Shepherd's Pie.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
half bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup edamame
1/2 cup chopped cooked taro (I had some left over so I threw it in also)
1 1/2 cups gravy
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cups mashed potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a deep casserole, combine the all the vegetables and seasonings.
3. In a skillet, brown the ground beef, drain and add to the casserole dish. Add the chicken stock.
4. In a small pot, heat up the gravy.
5. Pour the hot gravy in the vegetables and meat and combine well.
6. Spread the mashed potatoes over the mixture.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until everything is incorporated.

I was going to add shredded cheddar cheese on top, but Gary didn't want cheese, so I omitted. If you do add it, add it about 5 minutes before you finish baking so it melts on top.

I usually use ground turkey instead of beef, but I had extra ground beef left from a lasagna I made, so I used that instead.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!