Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vegan Zucchini Lasagna


When I first saw this recipe for the tofu ricotta, I knew it would be a winner. I've used tofu as a ricotta replacement before, and it worked very well. However, at that time, I didn't have as much knowledge I have now about tofu.

I've always been a fan of tofu, but I never really knew the difference between firm or silken or whatnot. I just ate anything my mom fed me. Now that I have to find dairy alternatives, I have to be creative in what I use. This tofu ricotta worked out beautifully and you really wouldn't believe it's vegan until I tell you.

Gary had a hankering for stuffed shells earlier in the week. Lucky for him, I had this recipe in my back pocket and I was already planning on making it. He thought the filling was perfect for shells, and of course it worked well in lasagna too, as I first thought when I saw this. Try this, and I bet you won't miss the cheese either!


Vegan Zucchini Lasagna
made by cathy's kitchen journey
tofu "ricotta" adapted from PBS Food





ingredients:
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 1 block (16 oz) firm or extra firm tofu, drained
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
  • 1 large zucchini, peeled and slice lengthwise
  • 1 24 oz jar marinara sauce
  • vegan cheese (optional)
  • vegan parmesan (optional)

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, then boil lasagna noodles for 10 minutes. Once done, drain and add cold water.
  2. In a food processor, blend the tofu, oil, salt, oregano, garlic and nutritional yeast until smooth and the consistency of ricotta.
  3. Peel and slice the zucchini lengthwise with a mandolin. 
  4. In a 9x13 baking dish, add 1/2 cup of the sauce.
  5. Pat dry 3 lasagna noodles and add to the pan. Spread half the tofu mixture (you might have to use your hands), then layer with half the zucchini, overlapping slightly.
  6. Add 1/2 cup sauce then layer with 3 more noodles, the remaining tofu, and the remaining zucchini. Then top with another 1/2 cup sauce.
  7. Top with remaining 3 noodles, then pour the remaining sauce on top.
  8. Cover the pan loosely with foil, then bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
  9. During the last 5 minutes, top with cheese and sprinkle with parmesan if desired.
  10. Let rest for 5 minutes. Run a knife through to cut into 9 even pieces.
Yield: 9 servings


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!