Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vegan Stuffed Shells


As I mentioned earlier. Gary really missed stuffed shells. While I made the lasagna with the filling, he still wanted stuffed shells. I decided to make it since I wanted to try out the filling with the spinach.

I found it really weird that Gary has never mentioned anything about stuffed shells in the 6 years we've lived together. That might be one of the reasons I've never made before, but I digress.

Although the original said to scoop 2 TBSP of filling in each shell, I found that to be a bit much. I used a medium cookie scoop, which was about 1 TBSP of filling. It made it a lot easier to fill as well. Even doing that, I still have some shells left over. You can save them and serve with sauce or use them in another recipe.


Vegan Stuffed Shells
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from PBS Food





ingredients:
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 16-oz block extra firm tofu
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
  • 1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1 box jumbo shells (about 25 shells)
  • 1 24-26 oz jar marinara sauce

directions:
  1. Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper towels, lightly squeeze out extra water. Crumble into the bowl of a food processor or high-speed blender along with olive oil, salt, oregano, garlic and nutritional yeast. Process on high until smooth and “ricotta-like”.
  2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in the defrosted spinach to the blended tofu mixture.
  3. Cook shells in boiling salted water until el dente. Drain, and add cold water to so it's easier to handle.
  4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Pour about ½ cup pasta sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Using a medium cookie scoop, stuff shells with 1-2 T of filling and place in pan, seam side down. Repeat until all shells have been stuffed. (I had leftover shells)
  5. Pour remaining pasta sauce over shells, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6-8 servings


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!