Thursday, March 1, 2012

Braised Moroccan Chicken


Sometimes we get bored of the same old thing. Especially with chicken recipes. It's one of our main proteins, so there's so much you can do with chicken before you get bored with it. It's not like we've been in a rut lately. I have been trying new things in the kitchen, but we have our basics we always gravitate towards.

I'm glad I tried this recipe, even though I forgot about bookmarking it a while back from Weelicious. Even though her blog caters to kids, there are a lot of great recipes for everybody!

I had everything on hand to make this and it was so simple to make. The chicken was moist and flavorful because of the dark meat. If you haven't tried dark meat before because white is technically slightly better for you, try it! I didn't really think the short cooking time and the simple ingredients would yield such fantastic results, but I'm now a believer. Simpler is sometimes better, and this recipe proves it. This will definitely go in my rotation more often.


Braised Moroccan Chicken
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Weelicious





ingredients:
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 small onion, cut in half then sliced thin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb (about 4-5 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken thighs

directions:
  1. In a hot pan on medium heat, heat the oil. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent.
  2. Add the spices and tomatoes, then bring to a boil.
  3. Add the beans and chicken, and stir to coat thoroughly.
  4. Reduce heat to medium low to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  5. Serve over your choice of grains.
Yield: 4 servings when served with rice or other grain


Pin It

2 comments :

  1. This looks delicious! I love the flavor combination. Plus, I am a big fan of chick peas. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely wonderful - I love Morrocan flavors - especially tasting cinnamon in a savory dish like this.  Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!