Friday, April 6, 2012

Cheese Danishes


I love turnovers or hand pies. They're just so convenient and portable to eat, no utensils required!

For our fruit recipe exchange, I received these cheese danishes. I made these for as another snack for the get together I had. We all played this board game called Quelf. It was a pretty interesting game, as none of us played it before, and I had to crawl under a table at one point! One of the things we had to do whenever anybody rolled a 1 on the die was to yell "all hail the Chinese cheese biscuit!", which was quite coincidental because I had just served these.

I originally had some difficulty using the puff pastry since I took it out of the fridge ahead of time. I was concerned that it had not fully thawed in the fridge. BIG mistake! It made the dough too tough to work with. Make sure the dough is cold, straight from the fridge, or you'll have a tough time unfolding!

A few changes I made were using Neufchâtel cheese to lighten it up, using reconstituted lemon peel from Penzeys, and using the leftover egg whites as a wash. It came out great and everybody enjoyed it, even the cheese haters! I double this to feed everybody and as I thought, I had some cheese filling left. I ended up throwing it away, but I'm sure it can be used to spread on bread or something!

Remember to check out Sarah's blog for the full round up including my submission for blueberry buckle!


Cheese and Fruit Preserve Danishes
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Simple Gourmet Cooking





ingredients:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, separated (reserve whites for egg wash)
  • 2 TBSP ricotta cheese
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 box frozen puff pastry, defrosted in refrigerator
  • 8 TBSP fruit preserves (I used raspberry)

directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
  2. Cream the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on low speed until smooth. With the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks, ricotta, lemon zest, vanilla, and salt and mix until just combined (do not whip). Turn off the mixer, and set mixture aside
  3. Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll it slightly with a lightly floured rolling pin until it's a 10 by 10-inch square. (Use one at a time, leaving one in the fridge until ready to use.) Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife.
  4. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares (I used a cookie scoop). If using, place an additional tablespoon of desired filling into each pastry.
  5. Brush the edge of each pastry with the egg wash and fold 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so that they stick together tightly. Crimp the edges together with a fork to seal.
  6. Lightly brush the top of the pastries with egg wash. Place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry and refrigerate the danishes for 15 minutes.
  7. Bake the pastries for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking, until puffed and light brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 8 servings


Pin It

3 comments :

  1. So glad you liked them! And that sounds like a great game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing.  Plus I love raspberries, so this sounds like a knockout recipe.  Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I love danish. These look great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!