Friday, February 17, 2012

Roasted Sesame Maple Ginger Tofu


I've always liked tofu, but other than putting it in soups like my mom did, I never really ventured out. When I saw this baked tofu recipe, I knew I had to try it. It looked simple enough and the flavors sounded great. Gary was onboard, so that was also my deciding factor in finally making it.

This tasted great and Gary enjoyed it even though it wasn't fried! It had a nice crispy exterior and chewy center that worked very well. I did reduce the sesame oil by half, since Gary doesn't like the taste of it. He's fine with everything else sesame though, go figure.


Sesame Maple Ginger Tofu
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Cara's Cravings





ingredients:
  • 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed, cut into 1 inch squares
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 TBSP tahini
  • 1 TBSP soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 TBSP pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 1 TBSP sesame seeds
  • pinch of ground ginger
  • pinch of red pepper flakes

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 475° F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray and add the tofu cubes. Lightly spray the top with more nonstick cooking spray and season with salt & pepper.
  3. Roast for 10-12 minutes, or until the pieces of tofu are lightly browned on the bottom. Turn the pieces over, and roast for another 10 minutes.
  4. Whisk tahini, soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, vinegar, sesame seeds, ginger, and pepper flakes in a small bowl until combined.
  5. Remove the tofu from the oven, and toss with the tahini mixture.
  6. Pour the the tofu back on the sheet, and drizzle the remaining sauce on top. Return the sheet to the oven and roast for another 5-7 minutes, mixing with a wooden spoon halfway through, until desired crispiness is reached.
Yield: 2-3 servings



Pin It

3 comments :

  1. I tried this last night and I think I'm on track. It was tasty  but I don't think I quite hit the mark. Mine ended up being very chewy instead of crispy. I wonder if maybe I cooked them too hot and fast? Maybe my oven should be backed down a few degrees or maybe I should lightly dredge the cubes before baking and let them cool before saucing? What do you think? I'm new to the realm of baking tofu as well. I love this recipe, though-- and can't wait to get it right. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my oven runs hot, as much as 25-50 degrees, so I usually reduce it by 25 degrees less than what a recipe calls for. Do you know if your oven runs hot as well? if that's the case, try reducing the heat, or vice versa if it runs low.

    ReplyDelete
  3.  That makes sense. I backed the oven down some and it seemed to help. I am going to try pressing the tofu a little longer first the next time (yes, batch number 3, haha). I am also thinking that having a convection oven would make a difference. Mine does not have a convection option.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!