Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegan Mocha Muffins


If you're looking for a super sweet breakfast treat to start your morning, sorry, you're not going to find it here. What you'll find here is a great healthy muffin which has just the right amount of sweetness that will start your morning off right. I'm not saying that I don't eat sweets for breakfast. I've eaten a cookie before and considered it breakfast. Heck, one of my favorite cereals is Cinnamon Life, even if I haven't eaten it in a while.

As I've grown up, my tastes have changed and I tend gravitate toward healthier options. Getting Gary to eat healthier has been a struggle at times, but even he has changed over the years. In the past, he wouldn't be caught dead eating a vegan meal, now he loves most of them.

I made these one Saturday morning when I got up seconds before my alarm even went off. It snowed all night and left us with a few inches outside. What a better way to start off the morning with a warm muffin out of the oven! I made these while Gary was still sleeping and he ate 2 immediately. He enjoyed them and that's awesome to hear from someone who used to eat 5 whoppers in one sitting when he was a teen!

The only change I made from the original recipe was swapping out plain unsweetened soy milk for the vanilla kind. Gary's picky about soy milks, and the Westsoy brand is only made with soy beans and water, the less ingredients the better!


Vegan Mocha Cupcakes
recipe by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Vegan Diner





ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 TBSP flax seed meal
  • 1 TBSP instant espresso powder
  • 1 TBSP baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp fine salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1 TBSP vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line or grease a 12 cup muffin tray. Brew coffee and reserve 1/4 cup for batter. Set aside to cool.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flax, espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In a separate large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth and combined.
  4. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined, then whisk in the cooled coffee.
  5. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the 12 cups.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until tops are puffed up and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. (mine were done at 20)
  7. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 12 muffins


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!