Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Spiced Cake Donuts


I finally broke down and bought a donut pan. Gary has wanted me to make donuts for a while now, but I refused to make them. I haven't been the biggest donut fan because they are fried greasy messes. Have you ever eaten one for breakfast, burped hours later and that taste came right back up with the burp? Yea, I get that and it grosses me out. It stays with me all day and it's not the healthiest breakfast out there to start the morning off right.

Another reason I didn't want to fry anything at home was because of the hassle of using a lot of oil, then not knowing what to do with it afterward. The cleanup is a mess, and it's not worth it for a dozen donuts. Then came the baked donut. It's lots easier to make and easy cleanup as well. I've seen many recipes out there, so hey, why not. It'll get Gary off my back and I can have cake for breakfast :). I started off with the recipe right on the back of the packaging, adapting it slightly to make it dairy free. The first words out of Gary's mouth, "Wow, these are good!" I guess these are a winner!

I haven't quite got the hang of how much batter to use yet, as you can see by the different sized donuts in the picture. I'm hoping my future donuts are just as delicious and uniform in size.



Spiced Cake Donuts
recipe by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from the back of the Norpro package





ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 TBSP shortening
for the glaze:
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 2 TBSP hot water
  • sprinkles, optional

directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray the donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
  3. Add in milk, eggs, vanilla, and shortening and mix until just combined.
  4. Fill each donut cup about 3/4 full.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until donuts spring back when touched.
  6. Cool slightly before removing from pan.
  7. To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners sugar and hot water. Dip the donut to coat on one side. Flip over and sprinkle the sprinkles on top if using.
Yield: 12 donuts


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!