Friday, May 18, 2012

Garlic Breadsticks


One day, I brought over an experimental loaf of bread over to my family to taste test. The loaf was still steaming hot, fresh from my breadmaker. Nobody could resist, and I got some good feedback for future loaves. My brother then promptly asked if I can make garlic bread. I said ok, but never said when I would actually make it.

When I made the pizza for the baby shower, I wanted to use some dough to make garlic breadsticks as well, but I wasn't sure how many pizzas the batch of dough would make. Since I used up all the dough for pizza, I didn't get a chance to make it. Since my brother was the one who requested the garlic bread in the first place, I decided to make it for his birthday.

For the garlic lovers out there, there's an abundant amount of garlic. My family loves it, so beware our wrath after we eat this! For those who don't like too much garlic, I was told that the garlic wasn't to prominent. I'm not sure how it works, but there was just enough garlic to satisfy everyone! The garlic haters even came back for more!

Although the dough didn't brown as much as I want, I wanted to keep it chewy. If I baked it any longer, it would have been crispy breadsticks. I may turn up the heat next time to see how it turns out.


Garlic Breadsticks
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day





ingredients:

for the dough (use a half batch):
  • 3 cups + 3 tablespoons (25 1/2 ounces) lukewarm water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 TBSP instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 TBSP kosher salt
  • 9 cups (38 ounces) all purpose flour
for the glaze:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 5-6 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced

directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly moistened (use a spatula if necessary).
  2. Loosely cover and set aside in a warm area. Let rise for 2 hours.
  3. After 2 hours, transfer the covered bowl to the fridge for at least 3 hours, or up to 7 days.

to make breadsticks:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine the 1/3  cup olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. To make breadsticks, portion out 1/3 of the batch of dough.
  3. Roll between parchment or wax paper to a 9x6 in rectangle. Cut into 9 1" wide pieces. Transfer to a baking pan, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Stretching out the dough to lengthen as desired. Repeat with remaining dough.
  4. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the breadsticks with the olive oil and garlic mixture.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges (mine didn't darken too much).
  6. Remove from oven and brush on more of the olive oil and garlic. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
  7. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
Yield: ~27 breadsticks


Pin It

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!