Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gingered Kale and Bok Choy


I swear that Gary changes is mind about foods every other day. One day, we saw a Vitamix demo at Whole Foods. The guy doing the demo made a green smoothie with all kinds of fruits and kale. He thought it tasted good. Meanwhile, I've tried to give him a green monster smoothie a while back and he didn't like it.

So fast forward to the present, I decided to pick up some kale for smoothies, or just to eat. I told him I would make a smoothie, but he didn't want any part of that! Of course, I mentioned that he liked it before, and he even likes the Bolthouse bottled ones as well as the Naked Juices, but NO!

OK, fine. I decided to find another way to use up the kale and found this recipe. It's a simple and quick stir-fried veggie dish that is similar to how I am used to frying vegetables, in a wok! I've used ginger with mushrooms, and I usually use garlic to stirfry vegetables. I don't know why I didn't think of stir frying the veggies in ginger too!

I had all the ingredients on hand. I omitted the cilantro since I'm not a huge fan. I've started to like it in certain dishes, but I wasn't sure how it would taste in this. I also added some almonds as a garnish for extra crunch.


Gingered Kale and Bok Choy
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from All the Good Blog Names are Taken





ingredients:
  • 1 big handful baby kale, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
  • 5 heads baby bok choy or shanghai bok choy, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
  • 1 TBSP canola oil
  • 1 TBSP minced ginger
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • salt to taste
  • slivered almonds for garnish (optional)

directions:
  1. Clean and rinse the vegetables thoroughly to get the sand out. Roughly chop into 1" pieces.
  2. In a hot wok, add the oil and heat. Add ginger and mix continuously for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the vegetables, mix with the wok spatula until they're vibrant green, 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add a few sprinkles of salt, and soy sauce. Mix for another 2-3 minutes.
  5. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and top with slivered almonds.
Yield: 3-4 servings


Pin It

2 comments :

  1. Thank you! It's a good idea, I'm going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting  ingredients, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!