Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Kale and Basil Pesto


With an abundance of kale left, along with a full windowsill basil plant, I decided to make some pesto. I've seen pesto using all sorts of greens before, so I decided to modify a recipe I've used before with success. This came out great, and Gary ate it even with the tri-colored pasta he hates so much :).


This is a great alternative to an all basil pesto. I've also substituted all spinach which works great as well. I only used about half the batch in the 12 oz pasta. Use this as a substitute for mayo or mustard for a great sandwich.


Kale and Basil Pesto
made by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance





ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup toasted nuts (I used walnuts)
  • 2 cups, packed baby kale
  • 1 cup, packed basil
  • 3 large cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp lemon juice (half a lemon)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil

directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients (except olive oil) in food processor and blend together.
  2. Slowly pour in olive oil into the feeding tube while continuing to blend until desired consistency.
  3. Serve with pasta or spread on bread in place of mayo!
  4. To store leftovers, portion out the pesto into ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop out and place in a freezer bag. Defrost and use as desired.
Yield: ~1 1/2 cup


Pin It

1 comment :

  1. What a brilliant idea! Love the combo of kale and basil.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!