Friday, October 23, 2009

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

When Kai added this to the menu, I wasn’t so sure about it. I’ve eaten sauerkraut before, but only with hot dogs…and that’s been a while. I wasn’t so sure it was for me. I saw such good reviews on the recipe, that I thought it would be worth a shot. I tried it, it was alright, but it wasn’t really my thing. The turkey sausage I used tasted too much like pork to me. It tasted a lot like the kielbasa I used to eat when I was younger, when I actually ate pork.

My mistake was making a double batch of this. There was barely a dent in the first batch. I thought one wouldn’t be enough, but I guess I was wrong.

I think some people enjoyed this though. If you like the sweet and sour combo, you’d probably like it.

The original recipe called for cooking in the crockpot for 5 hours on high, but I cooked this in the oven instead.

kielbasa and sauerkraut

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut
adapted from: recipezaar.com
printable recipe

ingredients:

3 (1 lb) packages kielbasa (2 large sausages in each) (I used turkey kielbasa)
32 ounces sauerkraut
3 cups apple cider
1/4 onion, cut into slivers
4 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Slice the kielbasa about 1 inch slices on an angle. Combine all ingredients in a baking pan. Cover pan with foil.

Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through.

1 comment :

  1. Bummer you didn't like it. We make the same recipe in the crockpot and the sugar makes the sauerkraut all caramelized and sweet. But it does still have a strong flavor, so I could understand not liking it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!