Thursday, October 22, 2009

Turkey Chili

One of the favorite dishes of the night during the party was this chili. When we were coming up with the menu, my friend Kai insisted he didn’t like chili. He doesn’t like spicy stuff…well neither do I, but I love me some chili. Although we added plenty of spices, it still even seemed mild to me. I don’t think Kai tried it at all though.

I made a double batch (which made about 4-5 quarts) of this and all that was left at the end of the day was one lonely bowlful. It was that good!

I took the leftovers to work for lunch and it tasted even better after the flavors melded together.

turkey chili

Turkey and Turkey Sausage Chili  
inspired from: nubella.com
printable recipe

ingredients:
olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped cooked onions
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausages, casings removed and crumbled (about 5)
2 cans red kidney beans, undrained 
1 28oz can stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
2 TBSP chili powder (more or less to taste)
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp paprika

directions:
In a heavy pot or dutch oven, add a little olive oil and cook onions until clear. Set aside.

In the same pot over medium-high heat cook ground turkey and sausages until turkey is browned. Discard drippings. Add jalapeño and onions back in stirring frequently to combine.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Use a potato masher (or something similar) to break up the tomatoes if desired.

Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

leftover chili

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!